Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Wanna Be Rich

This verse caught my eye.  It was on the bottom of an email from the librarian at HCOS.

"Through skillful and godly Wisdom is a house (a life, a home, a family) built,

and by understanding it is established [on a sound and good foundation],
And by knowledge shall its chambers [of every area] be filled with all precious and pleasant riches."
Proverbs 24:3-4

I am in no way considering myself skillful, but I desire to be!



I am experiencing this more and more as I try my hardest to be intentional about how I spend each moment, to lay my desires down and seek God's purpose in the big picture and the tiny details, and as I dig deeper with my kids. 




 Peeling through the layers of daily tasks, whining, tantrums and attitudes, I am finding so many "precious and pleasant riches" in each of the kids, in the time we spend together, in the joy it brings me to slow down and just allow "us" {home all day in our jammies} to be enough.



The hair bow business is being completely ignored and my social life is pretty much obsolete but  I am feeling like this is where I need to be right now.  

For today anyways.  
Everyone was happy today {for the most part}.  
There were no uprisings against the teacher. 
No AWOL students.
No crazy screaming lady Dr Jekyl/Mr. Hyde type display from me.
We got a lot of fun things accomplished.  


It is easy to feel like I am in the right place when all is going well.  I am working on feeling this way when the days are not so perfect!




I thought this verse summed up what we desire for our home, where we are trying to head, and where I am certain my Father has purposed us to be.




From time to time one of the kids will come up and ask " are we rich?" 
How does one answer that? 

Of course we aren't.  {when stacked up against the people in this affluent town we live in}
Of course we are.  {when we see how others are living around the world}


But by God's standards, by what makes our lives thick with blessing and full of joy, we are so rich and there is unmeasurable potential for more wealth!!  




Post this verse up where you can see it.

Let God's riches fill your home!

4 comments:

Watters said...

I loved reading this ...and so true...thanks for the reminder of Gods riches...and what matters most xo

Jenny said...

beautiful post Colleen. Thank you, it is good to be reminded how "rich" we are in so many ways....it's hard to forget in the insanity of some days in a busy home.

Kim said...

Good reminder Colleen. I need that today!

Holly said...

Wow Colleen, you are such a great writer!! I love that your post are so heart felt. You are such an inspiration.

Sometimes it's hard to be content with the here and now.... especially with having little ones. They can be quite trying at times, to say the least ;) Thanks for the reminder to enjoy and to make the most of every day, the good and the bad :)